In order to attract more science professionals into the industry, Federation University Australia has announced the establishment of a Primary Industry Centre for Science Education (PICSE).
The Centre is the first of its type in Victoria and one of only 10 in Australia.
The aim of the Centre is to address a national shortage in university qualified science professionals living and working in primary industry in regional and rural Australia.
The Centre will be situated at the University’s new world class Science and Engineering Building at Mt Helen but the program will be Victoria-wide – Ballarat, Horsham, Gippsland and Melton.
Some events planned by the Science Centre include:
1. A teacher professional development forum to learn about careers in primary industry at Mt Helen on 8 and 9 May
2. Industry placement scholarships for VCE students
3. Mentor program between high school students, university students and industry scientist
4. Teacher internship in a one-week industry placement to promote primary industry careers in schools
5. Undergraduate internship for university students with a primary industry focus
6. Science and Engineering Investigation Awards during National Science Week in August
Visit the Website www.federation.edu.au/picse